Humor us while we indulge just one more time in the nostalgia of the 10th Milwaukee Chili Bowl that came and went on Sunday. We've already covered the 6 most memorable things about the event for the hankr team, but before we close the book entirely, let's congratulate the winners and gaze longingly at a gallery of all 41 chilis served.
First, the winners of the Golden Ladle:
Golden Ladle Winner: Mulligans Irish Pub and Grill
Mulligans took home another win at the event behind their award-winning traditional beef and pork loin chili and its award-winning smoked poblano and white bean vegetarian chili.
Golden Ladle Runner-Up: The Villa at Heaven City
Chef Robert Klemm and team wowed the crowd with an award-winning classic Texas-style grilled steak chili made with guajillo and pasilla peppers and USDA Choice beef tenderloin and ribeye, garnished with fresh avocado-tomatillo relish and crumbled queso fresco, along with a Tuscan corn chili with white truffle, tri-colored peppers, tomatoes, cream and fresh herbs.
Chili Bowl attendees also stuffed ballot boxes to vote for best individual chilis in a number of categories:
Best Traditional Chili:
- Mulligans Irish Pub and Grill - Award-winning traditional beef and pork loin chili
- The Villa at Heaven City - Award-winning classic Texas-style grilled steak chili made with guajillo and pasilla peppers and USDA Choice beef tenderloin and ribeye, garnished with fresh avocado-tomatillo relish and crumbled queso fresco
- Brewtown Eatery Bar and Restaurant - Traditional chili with fresh ground beef, fresh ground pork, red kidney beans, black beans, red and green peppers, onions, garlic, celery, winter lager beer, smoked chipotle and (of course) chili powder
- O'Lydia's - A fiery chipotle chili with shredded brisket with hints of other chili peppers and hominy topped with nappa cabbage and a squeeze of lime
- Showtime Sports Bar and Grill - A red chili with ground beef, tenderloin, beef sausage, celery, tomatoes, peppers, and an array of spices
- Karma Bar and Grill - Green chorizo chicken chili with roasted poblano peppers
- Mulligans Irish Pub and Grill - Award-winning smoked poblano and white bean vegetarian chili
- The Villa at Heaven City - Tuscan corn chili with white truffle, tri-colored peppers, tomatoes, cream and fresh herbs
- Café 1919 (The Goodwill Culinary Institute) - Smoked corn and three-bean chili with queso fresco and poblano cream sauce
- Café 1919 (The Goodwill Culinary Institute) - A Chipotle glazed, cranberry-bbq pulled pork chili and cheese stuffed doughnut
- McBob's Pub and Grill - Beer-cheese, bacon and brat chili
- Smoke Shack - A red chili with heirloom smoked meats (sausage, ham, pork ribs, grass-fed beef), three beans (northern white, kidney, black) blended chili peppers (pasilla, ancho) roasted tomatoes, roasted peppers, topped with fried chick peas, cilantro, sour cream and chives
Finally, attendees used hankr to vote on the "Most Epic Chili", and the award went to St. Francis Brewery and Restaurant for their "Wrath of Chili", a beef and pork chili made with their own Wrath Amber Ale from their seven deadly sins beer line. Congratulations!
Honorable Mention for the Most Epic Chili went to Café 1919 (The Goodwill Culinary Institute) for their head-turning chipotle-glazed, cranberry-bbq pulled pork chili and cheese stuffed doughnut.